Monday, March 1, 2010

Letter #23 - March 1, 2010

Hey you guys!

So they upgraded myldsmail in connection with gmail and it's fantastic. My new email address is (I'm pretty sure) but I think all mail to the old address will be forwarded. So how is everyone?

This week we had fun making invitations and doing divisions to invite all of Jinotega to the District conference yesterday in Matagalpa. It was a satelite broadcast to all of Central America and Pres. Eyring, Elder Christofferson, Elder Costa (of the presidency of the 70), and Sister Cook (of the general YW presidency) all spoke. It was really good and they focused a lot on the importance of family prayer, scripture study, and FHE. Those things really are the foundation of a strong family and we are constantly trying to get people to buy into the program. Elder Eyring also spoke about our path to perfection. He said, we tend to look at perfection all at once and get overwhelmed but we have to take it one step at a time. He said that baptism is the first step, really it's the door we have to pass through in order to begin our journey down the path to perfection. And along the way are our temple covenants. He talked about how our temple covenants not only bless our own lives, but they bind our families together and the covenants of the parents protect and guide their children as well. I loved his emphasis on the temple even though it made me really miss it. It was also weird not hearing his voice. My heart jumped to hear his first two words from his own mouth and then the translator took over and it just wasn't the same. But the message was really good none the less. It was a bit of a circus getting everyone packed in the bus, but we arrived and we had 9 investigators attend the conference.

This week we had the baptismal interview of Camilo on Wednesday and he passed just fine and was excited for his baptism. We just weren't 100% sure when it was going to happen with his work schedule. So wednesday we left it at, we'll set a time tomorrow for either friday or saturday evening/night. But we couldn't get a hold of him either thursday or friday, so by Saturday morning I was really worried. The few days before a baptism are crucial and Satan works his hardest to prevent it and we hadn't seen Camilo for two days. We went to his house about 4 times throughout the morning and early afternoon and finally got the phone number of his brother and got a hold of him by phone around 3pm. He said that he had to work late but would try really hard to meet us at the church at 8pm for his baptism... I was skeptical. Around 5:30pm it started to rain, no it started to pour. The rain here is seriously crazy. But we still had invitations to deliver and a dinner appointment so on we went without umbrellas. By the time we got to the house, we only had time to grab my camera before heading to the church.

We were soaked from head to toe and our feet were covered in mud and no one was at the church. Hna. Aguilar started calling all the priesthood holders that we had asked to help us with the baptism and one after another told her that they couldn't come for various reasons. I was pacing around hoping that Camilo would show and that we would actually have someone here to baptize him. But 15 minutes later to my utter surprize and jubilation, Camilo walked in and 15 minutes after that we had about 6 priesthood holders and 5 other members and the baptism was a huge success. I was so happy.

You can kind of see how wet we are in the photo. Anyway, it was a great week.

Being a missionary is the best thing ever - even when you are soaking wet.

I love you tons!

Tell Jocelyn that I miss her dearly and I hope all is going well. Tell her
to send me an email so I have her address.

Love, Hna. Crosland

No comments: