Sunday, June 14, 2009

Zion


Everytime I visit Zion National Park I feel more alive than I have in months. It's so easy to see the big picture down there, to remember that God lives and loves me and that of all his creations (and they are vast and beautiful) man is his greatest accomplishment. His work and glory is to bring to pass our immortality and eternal life and somehow I can feel that so much more deeply when I'm standing on the edge of a majestic cliff looking down at the beautiful Zion valley.


I went to Zion with a group of friends, some I knew well and others I had just met. We drove and hiked and cooked and camped together, laughing and playing and sharing bits of ourselves with each other. Two of the boys had recieved their mission calls and awaiting their MTC dates, One was getting close to turning his papers in, two had served full time missions and of course I am still awaiting my call. Talk often turned to missions and we were constantly on the lookout for missionary moments. I was so impressed with these young guys as they went out of their way to talk and be friendly to everyone around, on the shuttle and on the hikes. We even made a friend at our secluded camp site, a guy who worked in the park and was just sleeping out in his truck that night. He joined our campfire, ate smores with us and played some mafia. As is tradition, we sang High on a Mountain Top on top of Angel's Landing along with a few other hymns. We even had a few girls join in.


All in all, it was a fantastic trip that reminded me of the things I hold most dear, of my purpose in this life and of the many things the Lord blesses me with everyday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh michelle.
honestly, i am not a person that is often speechless. but when we arrived on the top of angel's landing in 2007, i found no words for the scenery. it was just breathtaking. i think after that i never saw any sight that impressed me as much as this.
i want to go there one day again.
and see the condors fly.
i hope you are well and you will come to germany for your mission.
miss you.