Saturday, September 26, 2009

Letter #2 - September 25, 2009

Hola Familia!

It's week 2 already. I can't believe it. Time is really moving quickly. A quick note: Don't email me because I have a grand total of 30 minutes of internet time per week and it takes up time to print off emails. Send all your love through dearelder.com if you would. If that is too hard for anyone to figure out, please keep emailing. I'd rather hear from you than not. :)

Thank you thank you for all the mail this week. I love it. And I'm able to share all the goodies with my district and they love it too. I feel so very fortunate to have so much support from home. Hna. Johnson proves to be more and more the reincarnation of Sarah Ray and it totally cracks me up. She helps me lighten up when I get too serious. I got a calling in our zone. Any guesses? Yep, what else, the music coordinator. It's my destiny in life I guess. So I get to round up musical numbers and pick the hymns for sacrament meetings. Speaking of musical numbers... would it be hard to send my flute? And maybe some good intrumental solos w/piano accompaniment (sp?)? There is also a music library here that I think I'll check out today to see what music they have.

We've had a few opportunities to teach this week and it's been good and hard and eye opening. It's so hard to coordinate a lesson with someone else, especially when most of the time you end up throwing out your lesson plan to go by the spirit and teach according to the needs of your investigator. I find myself taking over sometimes and then being a little frustrated when Hna. Johnson doesn't pick up on my lead. I really need to work on that. Luckily we still get to do our teaching in English for a few more weeks. But the Spanish is coming along.

A couple of days ago, we were playing a game in Spanish where we had to write down what our favorite subject, hobby and sport was. Then our papers were switched and we were supposed to ask each other the questions to find out whose paper we had... make sense? So on my paper it said that their favorite sport was something like "balar competetivo" which I don't think is right even if he had gotten the verb right, because he was trying to say competitive dance (bailar). But we looked up balar and it turns out that Elder Soffe's favorite sport is actually competitive bleating. Hahaha. We laughed about that one for a while. Another Elder made a funny when our teacher, Hno. Flores asked him how he would make the question "Do you have children?" into a question to ask how many children someone has, to which he replied "Put a HOW in front of it..." Needless to say, we laughed at that one for a while too. We are certainly having fun along with all our studying and spiritual activities.

I don't know if I mentioned the MTC choir in my last email. Every Tuesday and Sunday we have the option to be in the MTC choir and it is amazing. We sang the most beautiful song last week called "Behold the Wounds in Jesus' Hands" and it is magical to sing with an army of missionaries. There is something so special and sacred about what we are doing here and the strength of our testimonies coming through the words that we're singing. We truly have desires to spread the gospel, so much so that we are here, spending every minute that we have to learn to be more effective and in tune with the spirit. We want people to know how happy their lives can be and singing with a group of missionaries about the atonement has been one of the most incredible things I've experienced so far.

I am so happy to be here. I know why I'm here and I couldn't be more grateful. I am sometimes discouraged and hard on myself because I know how much better I could be. I feel like I never have enough time to get as much done as I need too. I wish my spanish was better, I wish I taught with the spirit more, I wish I had more faith that the Lord will help me in the very minute I need him to know what to say. But I am being obedient and praying constantly and I know my heart is right. So things will work out, my efforts will are acceptable and I know my capacity will grow.

I love you all so much. I'm about to get kicked off the computer and I want to send this before all I've written gets lost but I can't go without telling you that I know the atonement is real. It has truly changed my life and I can't wait to tell people about that.

Con mucho amor,

Hermana Crosland

No comments: